Many people forget Goalball UK is a charity. Charities are all, like a lot of business, in challenging times as a result of COVID-19.
I would like to thank the charities, such as BBC Children in Need and The Thomas Pocklington Trust, who have supported us in recent months. I would also like to thank everyone who supported the 2.6 Challenge. We have raised over £6000 including gift aid. I would like to make special mention to Lynda Stainer, who has raised in excess of £1500.
The support we have received from Sport England has also been invaluable. Their commitment to us has allowed us to give a long term certainty to the sport. Similarly the support from both the executive and non-executive teams has meant we will emerge from lockdown is a largely positive fashion.
Most of all I would like to thank you, ‘The Goalball Family’, I am once again so grateful of your continued support and patience throughout the past five months. Please keep this patience as we work towards opening back up in a new normal.
Myself and the team and Board of Directors are always keen to share our sport. One of our ‘Obsessions’ (from our strategy below) is clearly to:
Increase the awareness of goalball and Goalball UK across the United Kingdom and on the International stage
As we continue to consider our strategy. I was given the opportunity to speak and write a blog on creating a great culture. I am really lucky to be able to work with you all and would like to share the blog with you: http://businessfixer.co.uk/non-profit-leadership-lessons-mark-winder-ceo-goalball-uk/.
Please, like me, share our sport. Tell people how great our sport is.
I hope to see you all soon. Stay safe and look after your loved ones,
Goalball UK Strategy: Transforming More Lives (2019-24)
Vision: To transform the lives of blind and partially sighted people through goalball.
Mission: To be world leading in promoting and providing sporting opportunities for blind and partially sighted people and to make goalball a universally recognised sport in the UK.
Values: Goalball UK are driven to transform people’s lives through our sport by:
- Building inclusive partnerships
- Creating safe, exciting opportunities
- Empowering through ownership
- Connecting the goalball family
- Creating Positive Communities
As an organisation, we are committed to serve our players with passion, act with integrity and to be responsive to our stakeholders. Our pride in working at Goalball UK must be reflected in our drive for success at all levels.
We are passionate about our objectives and consequently prefer to call them our ‘Obsessions’:
- Increase the numbers of players, coaches and volunteers participating in goalball in the UK.
- Provide players, coaches, officials and volunteers with a safe, tangible pathway allowing them to develop their talent within a strong domestic framework of competition.
- Increase the awareness of goalball and Goalball UK across the United Kingdom and on the International stage
- Increase funding and resource to support the growth and sustainability of goalball and Goalball UK.
- Ensure a high performing, well governed, sustainable and robust organisation that cares for all its members and celebrates the equality and diversity inherent in our sport.
- Continue to develop and grow our UK high performance programme, creating world class Great Britain teams.