Goalball UK (Charity no (England and Wales: 1136892; Scotland SCO45967) is the governing body for the sport of goalball in the UK.
Goalball is a Paralympic team sport played largely by blind and partially sighted people. It was originally developed by Hanz Lorenzen (Austria) and Sepp Reindl (Germany) in 1946, as a rehabilitation programme for visually impaired World War II veterans.
Goalball is a game played by two teams of three players with a maximum of three substitutes on each team. It is open to both male and female visually impaired athletes, sighted players also play domestically.
Since London 2012 the sport has grown enormously in England (over 350%)and there are now over 500 people playing the sport in the UK. Goalball UK is a relatively new governing body and is keen to take the next steps in development to make the organisation resilient and sustainable.
A new Chair is required, the incumbent having served four years and steps down for personal reasons. The appointed chair will commence a 4 year term as soon as possible. The chair has a highly influential role to play inside and outside the sport, representing and advocating the views of the organisation and its members, and has overall responsibility for the strategic direction of Goalball UK.
- To lead the Board in promoting and directing Goalball UK to meet its primary objectives, and to ensure the effectiveness of the Board in securing the long-term success of the organisation and the sport of goalball.
- To manage, support and act as a trusted adviser to the Chief Executive Officer and the remaining board members, liaising closely and holding them to account for the achievement of agreed plans while maintaining a high level of staff morale, commitment and motivation.
- To establish and maintain links with the membership and volunteer sectors of Goalball UK.
- To be an ambassador for the sport of goalball, in Great Britain and internationally, and to assist the management team in developing and maintaining relationships with key sponsors, donors, other influential stakeholders and funders.
The ideal candidate will have:
- a proven track record of successful leadership in a developing organisation with multiple stakeholders;
- knowledge of, interest in, and commitment to, paralympic sport and goalball, its clubs and events;
- an understanding of high performance sport and the UK sporting landscape;
- credibility and gravitas to represent the sport and the organisation at the highest levels;
- An understanding of governance in voluntary organisations and a commitment to corporate good practice;
- Strong interpersonal, communication and negotiating skills and the ability to develop effective, sustainable partnerships;
- Strong business acumen and an understanding of a not for profit organisation
Applications can be made by CV and covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
This is a non-executive role with a substantial time commitment spanning both weekdays and weekends, including formal Board processes and sport-related activity, with UK and some international travel. It is a pro bono role. All reasonable expenses incurred in connection with the role will be reimbursed.
Goalball UK is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion, belief and gender.
Application Dates: Friday 23rd March, 2018
Click here for Candidate Information Pack PDF.
Click here for Candidate Information Pack Word Document.