We are looking to recruit and train a new group of referees to support our growing competition framework. To help develop the next group of referees, Goalball UK are running a two-day practical course in February 2022. Details of the course and how to register your interest can be found below.
Venue: Bromsgrove School, Worcester Road, Bromsgrove, B61 7DU.
Dates: Saturday 19th and Sunday 20th February 2022.
Times: 11am arrival on Saturday and 3.30pm (approximate) departure on Sunday.
Cost: £125 – includes accommodation in a shared twin room on Saturday night plus an evening meal; then breakfast and lunch on Sunday.
Who is the course for?
Individuals who would like to support Goalball UK competitions by becoming a referee.
Candidates must be aged 16 or over at the start date of the practical course.
Unfortunately, the course is not suitable for people with a visual impairment. However, people with a visual impairment can still play an active role at competitions on the official’s table so please contact Goalball UK for more information.
What’s involved when you become a referee?
Goalball UK competitions are frequently held, all across the country, at weekends, during the season (which runs from September to July each year). Whilst there is currently no minimum number of competitions you are required to referee at, there is an expectation to make yourself available whenever you can throughout each season to keep your refereeing up to date. Travel and accommodation costs are covered by Goalball UK in line with Goalball UK policies.
What’s involved in the course?
The two-day practical course will be delivered by experienced IBSA (International Blind Sports Federation) and Goalball UK referees. It will focus on developing the sport specific and transferable skills required for you to be a good referee.
You need to be in attendance for the full duration of the practical course.
Prior to the practical course you are required to meet the course pre-requisites (see below).
As part of your preparations for the practical course you will also undertake an online module to develop your understanding of the rules and your role as a referee.
After the practical course you will receive ongoing support from experienced Goalball UK referees. You will be observed at two Goalball UK competitions before officially graduating as a Goalball UK referee.
What are the benefits of being a Goalball UK referee?
- Join a community; meet new people to create a new social network
- Goalball UK hummel referee kit
- Know you are supporting people with a visual impairment play the sport they love
- Take part in exciting events across the country and potentially abroad – this could be the start of your journey to officiate internationally or at the Paralympics
- Develop transferable communication and leadership skills
- Travel, food, and accommodation costs are covered by Goalball UK
To ensure you have some background knowledge and experience, before attending the course, you first need to have:
- Completed the Goalball UK online Introduction to Officiating course.
- Table officiated (all roles) and goal judged at a minimum of three Goalball UK competition days – with at least one day being at Intermediate or Elite level, previous experience at Goalball UK competitions will be considered.
- Informally whistled at a club session, have a go day, or other Goalball UK activity.
Please note, you don’t need to have completed the pre-requisites before registering your interest in the course.
Competition dates before the course:
- 27th November – Intermediate North Matchday 2 – York
- 3rd & 4th December – Elite Super League Matchday 1 – Sheffield
- 11th December – Intermediate South Matchday 2 – Reading
- 15th January – Novice Tournament 2 – Sheffield, Birmingham, or Winchester
- 29th & 30th January – Elite Super League Matchday 2 – Sheffield
Register your interest
To register your interest for the course please complete the Registration Form. Goalball UK will then be in touch to discuss the course pre-requisites and the role of a Goalball UK referee before confirming your place.
If you require more information or have any questions, please contact Steve Cox by email Steve.Cox@goalballuk.com or phone 07706 286584.