Calling the Goalball UK Family,
Goalball UK really want to know your opinion of our sport.
At the AGM Mark Winder (CEO) said a questionnaire would be distributed in the summer in order to continue planning. The links for these are available below. There is a questionnaire for players and coaches/volunteers. If you fall into both categories, you can complete both surveys!
Goalball Player Survey
Goalball Coach and Volunteer Survey
Everyone that completes the survey before Friday 20th September will be entered into a draw to win a £50 Amazon Voucher. If you have any questions in regards to the survey please contact Mark Winder: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mark Winder (CEO) said; Please take time to complete this survey. We have had another year of growth and development but we want your opinions to help us keep doing what is right and identify any areas for development. With this feedback we will continue to make improvements to your sport and your experiences within the sport of goaball in the UK. As a reminder:
- This year 128 teams have entered Goalball UK Tournaments over three levels from 25 clubs.
- To add to that there have been 5 regional tournaments which have taken place in Cambridge, Croydon, Hereford, Oxted and Lancaster.
- The London cup is going from strength to strength with more participants than previous years, many being under 16 years of age.
- Over the 7 Leagues 3659 goals were scored
-Novice A: 266
-Novice B: 445
-Novice C: 163
-Inter A: 628
-Inter B: 277
-Inter C: 419
- Over 722 players now involved in goalball.
- We held our first Home Nations Competition with the support of York St John University and in particular our own Robert Avery.
Our men maintained their position in the Euro B and begin preparations for a promotion challenge in the autumn. Giving them a full year to prepare.
The women have two opportunities to qualify for the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games. To support this we have received UK Sport funding for the first time since 2013. We are incredibly proud to have received UK Sport funding to help us achieve this.
We finished a very respectable 6th in the World Qualifying event and are in preparations to travel and compete in the European A Championships in Germany in October.
Our Men’s Under 23 Youth Team achieved a bronze medal position in the European Youth Paralympic Games in July and our Women’s Under 19 Team achieved bronze in the World Youth Championships. Two years ago it would have been unthinkable on so many levels. I want to take this opportunity to thank the staff team who have helped.
Individually there have been many achievements, however this year I want to focus on one. Kathryn Fielding has been awarded the British Empire Medal. I do not think there is anyone involved in the sport who has not benefited from Kathryn’s skills, knowledge, friendship, guidance, mentoring, or sense of humour. She won’t admit it but her inimitable style, commitment and tenacity has been instrumental in making our organisation what it is today.
This is just one example of why I believe Goalball UK is in a good place; we have a clear strategy and look forward to the continued development of the sport at all levels over the next year.
I made the commitment just over two years ago that we would listen to what you want. It is your sport. We are just custodians….. I wanted to give you a snapshot of what we are doing to make your experience better.
You wanted more communication with members: We have:
- Employed a Social Media officer (doubling our following on twitter and trebling on Facebook)
- Introduced a monthly newsletter,
- Introduced a new members platform.
- We have ensured a consistent Club and Competition Committee with representatives from all areas to help address this.
- I can also announce that we will relaunch our website (that will be bigger and better) in the Autumn
You wanted better venues: We have found an improved location in Bristol and an additional hall in Birmingham. We continue on our quest for the perfect venue.
You said you needed continued support in the development happening in our sport:
- Increased club visits
- We have employed more staff (more than doubled since the beginning of 2018)
- I am officially launching ‘Grow OUR Game Conference’ in partnership with York St John University which will take place on 7/8 September 2019
You said you wanted more volunteers:
- Steve Cox has led us to gain 53 new Activators.
You wanted more young players:
Since September Stephen Newey has worked with over 1800 young people in the BBC Children in Need funded National Schools Programme.
You want more in London:
Alex Bunney has worked with the London Clubs and in particular Robin and Tommy, and goalball continues to grow and thrive. A London representative team took part in the Elite Competition for the first time this year. I was in awe at the London Goalball Cup I went to watch this year.
I say this a lot. But please continue to strive, aim high, and shout about what you are doing. Be proud and tell people how your clubs and Goalball UK really are Transforming Lives.