Goalball UK Referee Course
We are looking to recruit and train a new group of referees to support our growing competition framework. To help develop the next group of referees, Goalball UK will be running a two-day practical course.
Next Course details
The date of the next referee course is to be confirmed.
To register your interest for future courses, please contact Steve Cox by email Steve.Cox@goalballuk.com or phone 07706 286584.
Who is the course for?
Individuals who would like to support Goalball UK competitions by becoming a referee.
Candidates must be aged 16 or over at the start date of the practical course.
Unfortunately, the course is not suitable for people with a visual impairment. However, people with a visual impairment can still play an active role at competitions on the official’s table so please contact Goalball UK for more information.
What’s involved when you become a referee?
Goalball UK competitions are frequently held, all across the country, at weekends, during the season (which runs from September to July each year). Whilst there is currently no minimum number of competitions you are required to referee at, there is an expectation to make yourself available whenever you can throughout each season to keep your refereeing up to date. Travel and accommodation costs are covered by Goalball UK (in line with Goalball UK policies)
What’s involved in the course?
The two-day practical course will be delivered by experienced IBSA (International Blind Sports Federation) and Goalball UK referees. It will focus on developing the sport specific and transferrable skills required for you to be a good referee.
You need to be in attendance for the full duration of the practical course.
Prior to the practical course you are required to meet the course pre-requisites (see below).
As part of your preparations for the practical course you will also undertake an online module to develop your understanding of the rules and your role as a referee.
After the practical course you will receive ongoing support from experienced Goalball UK referees. You will be observed at two Goalball UK competitions before officially graduating as a Goalball UK referee.
What are the benefits of being a Goalball UK referee?
- Join a community; meet new people to create a new social network
- Goalball UK hummel referee kit
- Know you are supporting people with a visual impairment play the sport they love
- Take part in exciting events across the country and potentially abroad – this could be the start of your journey to officiate internationally or at the Paralympics!
- Develop transferable communication and leadership skills
- Travel, food, and accommodation costs are covered by Goalball UK
To ensure you have some background knowledge and experience, before attending the course, you first need to have:
- Completed the Goalball UK online Introduction to Officiating course.
- Table officiated (all roles) and goal judged at a minimum of three Goalball UK competition days – with at least one day being at Intermediate or Super League level, previous experience at Goalball UK competitions will be considered. Competition dates can be found on the Goalball UK website.
- Informally whistled at a club session, have a go day, or other Goalball UK activity.
Please note, you don’t need to have completed the pre-requisites before registering your interest in the course.
Register your interest
To register your interest for the next course, contact Steve Cox by email Steve.Cox@goalballuk.com or phone 07706 286584.
If you require more information or have any questions, please contact Steve Cox by email Steve.Cox@goalballuk.com or phone 07706 286584
The course was well organised and packed full of helpful training sessions. I had a clear sense of making progress during the weekend.
The Goalball team were exceptional in their delivery of the event. I can’t wait to volunteer again next season.